Help! My Baby Hates Tummy Time!
Some babies love tummy time right away. Others need a little more encouragement. If your baby doesn’t enjoy tummy time, try the following:
- Start slowly: Start with 1 minute at a time and build from there. If baby gets frustrated, take a break and try later.
- Support baby: Early on, baby may need a little extra help. Under supervision, roll up a small blanket and place it under his chest to help him lift up.
- Get down: Lay on the floor in front of your baby. Smile and encourage him that it is ok.
- Tummy to chest: Put baby on your chest or stomach. He will love to lift his head to look at you.
- Family time: If baby has a big brother or sister, involve them! Babies love to play with other kids too.
- Routine: Make tummy time part of the routine. Baby will learn to expect it, whether after a bath, or after a meal, knowing what comes next is helpful for baby.
- Talk: Baby loves to hear from you! Talk and let him talk back. Use words, sounds, and music to capture baby’s interest.