10 Ways to Exercise as a Family
- Go for pre- or post-dinner walks.
- Crank up the music and boogie down.
- Make a game out of household chores.
- Sneak workouts into other activities.
- Turn TV commercials into fitness breaks.
- Have a weekly sports night.
- Walk or run for charity.
- Put kids to work in the yard.
- Team up for gardening.
- Walk the dog.
Every Wednesday, for example, get everyone up and moving. One game to play is the fit-deck shuffle. Create a series of playing cards featuring family-friendly exercises, such as bear-crawling or ape-walking. Each family member picks a card and performs the exercise pictured until all the cards have been dealt. You can also buy a ready-made set of exercise cards from FitDeck (fitdeck.com).